Sunday, March 21, 2010



Sunday, March 21, 2010

The computer has been broken for awhile so I have no idea when this post will get out to all my concerned and alert readers.

I spent the weekend at La Hesperia, which meant no chance to watch March Madness, though the chances of watching Duke, I figured, were pretty low anyway from previous experience. For all I know they are playing at this moment for a spot in the Sweet 16.

Instead I got to go camp up at the summit of La Hesperia.


A beautiful spot and we got to hike back down through a portion of the reserve’s Bosque Primario the morning after.

I got to see flocks of the near-threatened Plate-billed Mountain-Toucan which, of all the1600+ species found in mainland Ecuador, is the one that is featured on the cover of my field guide.



Unfortunately none of the pictures turned out that well (too many orchids and clouds in the way). But here’s a good one of a very cooperative (and sad-looking?) Crimson-rumped Toucanet I found just by the volunteer house.

We lucked out on weather though and had the first non-rainy 30-hour streak I’ve experienced so far here.



Undoubtedly our good fortune was granted by this leprechaun disguised as a baby Ecuadorian Thrush that Jorge-Luis caught just as we were departing.

A lot has been going on…

In the past week we’ve built a caterpillar apartment in which we have begun a breeding program.


So far we have about 10 larval monarch tenants, two of which have already made cocoons. We’ll start planning and building a proper butterfly house soon.

Two Canadian farmers have completely renovated the organic garden and foolishly left me in charge of keeping it maintained.



Here’s the shot just after they completed their work. After a few weeks of misguided volunteer efforts I’m sure we can reduce these smooth rows into a smoldering crater.

Fortunately I’m off to the Amazon for a week come the 29th so I’ll be able pass the blame off to someone else!
















1 comment:

Lo said...

1) You have to get over the fact that the bird is on the cover of your book :P

2) You better be damn-well sure that my huerta doesn't become a crater or else I will hitchhike my way down there and kick some serious ass!

3) The Crimson-rumped Toucanet was terribly distraught because I was leaving... we had a moment and he shed some tears but we're good now...

4) Have some G'n'R moments in the Jungle for me ;)